That the older Italian Australian community will have equitable access to culturally appropriate services in South Australia.
To be the peak body for organisations supporting older Italian Australians in South Australia.
Functions of CO.AS.IT.SA
Priority 1 - Support to Agencies that support older Italian Australians
Priority 2 - Community Engagement
Priority 3 - Community Representation
Priority 4 - Research to assist agencies that support older Italian Australians
- Build the capacity and competency of service providers who deliver support services to the Australian Italian community in South Australia.
- Demonstrate leadership and provide professional advice and guidance on relevant sector issues, service system reforms and broader social policy issues and impacts to organisations.
- Initiate and promote co-operative collaborations and partnerships that facilitate the ongoing development of organisations to be more efficient, effective, integrated and outcomes-focussed.
- Undertake research and planning to develop resources and share expertise that contributes to increasing the effectiveness, resilience and sustainability of organisations.
- Promotion and representation of Service Providers that deliver support services to the Australian Italian community.
WHAT WE DO
Comitato Assistenza Agli Italiani (CO.AS.IT) is an incorporated peak body for the Italian community in South Australia which was developed to support the rapid growth in aged Italian Australians. The number of older Italians in the South Australian community is growing at twice the rate of the other communities, and faster than groups who came to Australia after World War II.
According to the Department of Human Services Strategic Directions for Older People from CALD backgrounds figures, over the next decade the Italian community will have the highest level of growth of any segment of the over 80's community in South Australia. In the 1996 older people from an Italian background made up the greatest percentage of those from a Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) background at 4.5% of the population aged 55+.
By 2006 that figure will rise to 5.9%. By 2016 older people aged 65 years and over from an Italian background are projected to make up a quarter of the older CALD population and 7.8% of the total older S.A. population. To embrace this challenge the Italian community has established CO.AS.IT. CO.AS.IT. is a collaborative initiative of the SA Italian community to respond to the growing demand for services and is supported and funded by the State Government, Department for Families and Communities. CO.AS.IT.'s strives to play a key leadership role in advancing services for the Italian community in South Australia.
Organisations that have been part of the development of CO.AS.IT. include CIC (Coordinating Italian Committee), APAIA (Association of Pensioners and Older People in SA), ANFE (Association of Emigrants and their Families), Society of Saint Hilarion, Bene Aged Care (Italian Benevolent Foundation), PISA (Italian Meals and Services for the Elderly) and NIC (Northern Italian Community). Mario Feleppa is also acknowledged as a driving force in the establishment of CO.AS.IT. CO.AS.IT. was officially launched by the then Minister for Social Justice, Stephanie Key on Friday 24 January 2003.
CO.AS.IT. (SA) is supported by funding from the Australian Government
under the Commonwealth Home Support Program.