That the older Italian Australian community will have equitable access to culturally appropriate services in South Australia.
To be the peak body for organisatios supporting older Italian Australians in South Australia.
Functions of CO.AS.IT. (SA)
Priority 1 – Support to Agencies that support older Italian Australians
Priority 2 – Community Engagement
Priority 3 – Community Representation
Priority 4 – Research to assist agencies that support older Italian Australians
- Build the capacity and competency of service providers who deliver support services to the Australian Italian community in South Australia.
- Demonstrate leadership and provide professional advice and guidance on relevant sector issues, service system reforms and broader social policy issues and impacts to organisations.
- Initiate and promote co-operative collaborations and partnerships that facilitate the ongoing development of organisations to be more efficient, effective, integrated and outcomes-focused.
- Undertake research and planning to develop resources and share expertise that contributes to increasing the effectiveness, resilience, and sustainability of organisations.
- Promotion and representation of Service Providers that deliver support services to the Australian Italian community.
WHAT WE DO
The Italian Assitance Association – CO.AS.IT. (SA) Inc is a peak body for ageing Italo-Australians in South Australia. The number of older Italians in the South Australian community is growing at twice the rate of the other communities, and faster than groups who came to Australia after World War II.
According to the Department of Human Services Strategic Directions for Older People from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds figures, the Italian community currently has the highest level of growth of any group in the over 80 years of age community in South Australia. In 1996 older people from an Italian background made up the greatest percentage of those from a Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) background at 4.5% of the population aged 55+. In 2006 that figure rose to 5.9% and in 2016 older people aged 65 years and over from an Italian background made up approximately a quarter of the older CALD population.
To support the ageing Italo-Australian community in South Australia, CO.AS.IT. (SA) has endeavoured to support existing programs and respond to the growing demand for services within our community. Furthermore, CO.AS.IT. (SA) strives to play a key leadership role in advancing the wellbeing of ageing Italo-Australians in South Australia with access to information, support, advocacy, services and programs that promote a fulfilling life.
Organisations that have been part of the development of CO.AS.IT. (SA) include CIC (Coordinating Italian Committee), APAIA (Association of Pensioners and Older People in SA), ANFE (Association of Emigrants and their Families), The Society of Saint Hilarion, Bene Aged Care (Italian Benevolent Foundation), PISA Delivering on Meals and Expectations and NIC (Northern Italian Community).
Special acknowledgment is given to Mario Feleppa as a driving force in the establishment of CO.AS.IT. (SA), which was officially launched by the then Minister for Social Justice, Stephanie Key on Friday 24 January 2003.